T 418 522-4580
F 418 529-9590
500 Grande Allée Est, Suite 1
Québec, Québec G1R 2J7
T 418 522-4580 | F 418 529-9590
Hotline: 367 777-0778
Specializing in labour and employment law, Me Mathieu Fournier practices in the fields of arts, sports and entertainment, retail, and education and early childhood. He advises and represents employers and employer associations in matters of collective and individual labour relations, minimum labour standards, occupational accidents and diseases, occupational health and safety, human rights and freedoms, and administrative law.
Called upon to represent his clients before civil and administrative tribunals, he acts as an employer negotiator for employers and employer associations in the context of collective bargaining, in both the public and private sectors.
A former player in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL), Me Fournier is well acquainted with the world of sports, a field in which he also practices law: he represents sports leagues and organizations. He also has particular expertise in the early childhood sector, where he acts as legal counsel and attorney for several early childhood centers and family daycare coordinating offices.
In addition to having been a research assistant in labour law at Université Laval's Faculty of Law in 2007, Me Fournier has written various articles dealing with topics related to the world of professional sports and employment.
This former top sportsman certainly knows how to work as a team player. Moreover, thanks to his global strategic vision of his clients' objectives, he is always creative, dynamic, available and hard-working. He often manages to offer unique, adapted and bold strategic recommendations. No mandate is too tough for him: he is motivated by Mark Twain's famous quote, “They did not know it was impossible so they did it.”
Several times a week, Me Fournier enjoys intensive running and skating cross-country skiing. He is passionate about movies and travel, as well as cooking and food and wine pairing. The causes that are closest to his heart are sports, fitness and youth.
Assistant: Julie Martel
- Labor and employment law (competition and duty of loyalty, entertainment, art and information technology law, sports law, federal labor law, human rights, pay equity, pay equity, collective bargaining, collective labor relations, individual labor relations)
- Administrative law (access to information, professional conduct, ethics, and governance, disciplinary law, entertainment, art and information technology law, sports law, administrative remedies)
- Circular economy
- LL.B., Université Laval (2007)
- Cain Lamarre, Quebec City (2013 to present)
- Mathieu Fournier, avocat, Quebec City
- Association québécoise des centres de la petite enfance, Quebec City
- McCarthy Tétrault, Quebec City
- Heenan Blaikie Aubut, Quebec City
- Langlois Kronström Desjardins, Quebec City
Lecturing, conferences, publications
- Drafting, in collaboration with Renée-Maude Vachon-Therrien, of an article entitled "Le droit québecois s'adapte aux réseaux sociaux" to be published by Éditions Yvon Blais, En bref (2013)
- Drafting of an article entitled "The Concept of "Unforeseeable Event in Collective Dismissals: An Exception that May Prove Useful in Difficult Times" (2009)
- Drafting, in collaboration with Dominic Roux, of an article entitled "Labor Relations in the National Hockey League: A Model of Transnational Collective Bargaining?" published in Marquette Sports Law Review (2009)
- Drafting, in collaboration with Dominic Roux, of an article entitled "Les relations de travail dans la Ligue nationale de hockey : un modèle de négociation collective transnationale ?" published in Les Cahiers de droit (2008)
- Research assistant, labor and employment law at the Laval University Faculty of Law (2007)
Associations, committees, boards
- Former borough councilor for Cap-Rouge, City of Quebec (previously)
- Former member, professional training committee, Jeune Barreau de Québec (previously)
- LEXPERT Ranked Lawyer (2020)
- LEXPERT Ranked Lawyer (2019)
- Ranked by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory among the “Leading Lawyers To Watch” in labor and employment law (2019)
- Recipient, university scholarship from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League