T 514 393-4580
F 514 393-9590
630 boul. René-Lévesque Ouest, Suite 2780
Montréal, Québec H3B 1S6
T 514 393-4580 | F 514 393-9590
Hotline: 438 943-2092
After completing a certificate in political science and obtaining his Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) from Université Laval in Quebec City, Me Mathieu Laplante-Goulet completed his studies in Marseille, where he obtained a Master's degree in business law specialized in sports law from Aix-Marseille Université.
Me Laplante-Goulet is an essential asset to the Montreal office's Litigation and Professional Law Groups. Throughout his professional career, he has developed his practice in disciplinary litigation, civil remedies of all types, extraordinary remedies, and civil liability.
He also handles cases involving administrative law, ethics and governance of non-profit organizations, constitutional law issues, entertainment law and sports law. He has developed a practice in matters involving several administrative and civil tribunals, and his clientele includes groups and associations active in the sports and recreation sector.
Sports law is particularly important to Me Laplante-Goulet. Outside of his practice, he is highly involved within several sports organizations, including Soccer Québec, where he is responsible for judicial proceedings and is a chairperson for disciplinary proceedings. Previously, he was a volunteer consultant on the ethics and governance committee to reform the organization's governance and acted as a member and chair of the nomination committee. He is a (remote) member of the arbitration committee at the International Mixed Martial Arts Federation (IMMAF) in London. He is also called to chair disciplinary committee at Judo Canada, and he was a member of the Member Relations Committee of the Young Bar Association of Montreal.
Me Laplante-Goulet is also an excellent public speaker. He is frequently invited to speak to the media about current issues in sports law. Me Laplante-Goulet is known for his human approach as well as his ability to see angles to a problem that are outside the box. He is relatable, and his experience makes him a person with whom one can easily identify. Gifted with a great deal of empathy and understanding of the human issues in each case, he knows how to find innovative solutions to disputes.
He is a music, art, and sports lover and enjoys playing video and role-playing games. The psychological and physical safety of amateur and professional athletes is particularly important to him, as are human rights.
Assistant: Geneviève Litalien
- Litigation (disciplinary, remedies of all types, extraordinary remedies, civil liability)
- Professional law
- Administrative law (professional conduct, ethics, and governance, constitutional law, disciplinary law, entertainment, arts, and new technologies law, sports law, professional orders, administrative remedies)
- Master in business law specialized in sports law, Aix-Marseille Université, Marseille (2016)
- LL.B., Université Laval, Quebec (2012)
- Certificate in political science, Université Laval, Quebec (2008)
- Trivium Avocats Inc., Brossard (2019-2021)
- Grey Casgrain, Montreal (2014 -2015 and 2016-2019)
Lecturing, conferences, publications
- "Episode 19 - Sports Law", Online continuing training, Series "Question of evidence", Rivercast Media, Montreal (2020)
- "Discussion on the absolution of kayaker Laurence Vincent-Lapointe", Intervention on the show Salut Bonjour, TVA Network, Montreal (2020)
- "Discussion concerning the SPVM report on systemic racism", Intervention on the show Le Québec Maintenant with Patrick Lagacé, Montreal (2019)
- "American sprinter Gil Roberts cleared of doping charges", article on the interpretation of case law rendered by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), The LawSP, Marseille (2018)
- "Demystifying the ARAFSA ", training given to student associations members of CADEUL, Quebec (2015)
Associations, committees, boards
- In charge of legal proceedings, Soccer Québec (as of 2019)
- Presidency of disciplinary body, Soccer Québec (as of 2019)
- Member, Arbitration Committee, International Mixed Martial Arts Federation, London, remotely (as of 2019)
- Presidency of disciplinary body, Judo Canada (as of 2018)
- Volunteer consultant on the Ethics and Governance Committee at Soccer Quebec to reform the governance of the organization (2017-2019)
- Member of the Member Relations Committee, Young Bar Association of Montreal, Montreal (2017-2018)
- Member and Chair of the Comité de mise en candidature, Soccer Québec (2015-2018)
- 9th Lawyer of the Year, Droit-inc, Montreal (2019)